Now that summer has begun, the chances are pretty good you’ve been running your air conditioning system. We all can appreciate coming in out of the heat into a cool, comfortable home. However, it can also mean a spike in our utility bills. In fact, the Department of Energy suggests that about 6% of the electricity produced in the United States is used by air conditioning. So how can you reduce the amount of energy your AC system uses as a homeowner?
For more information,
call or click here:
Ask A Tech
Fortunately, there are quite a few different ways you can help your air conditioning system operate more effectively and efficiently. One way is by making sure you call a professional for preventive maintenance each year. If you don’t get proper maintenance, your AC system will likely not perform as well and use more energy than it would otherwise. And, there are a few measures you can take as a homeowner to help your air conditioning system operate more efficiently.
5 Ways You Can Help Your AC Use Less Energy
- Keep the Outside Unit Clean. When grass, weeds, and shrubbery grow up around the outdoor portion of your air conditioning system, it can cause it to have to use more energy to work properly. Keeping the outdoor unit free of vegetation, pests, and debris can help it operate better and more efficiently.
- Check the Filter Regularly. Once summer is in full swing, your AC system probably is being used on a constant basis. As a result, the filter can become dirty more often, making your AC work harder and use more energy. Clean or change your filter as soon as you notice that it’s dirty.
- Take Advantage of Ceiling Fans. Set any ceiling fans in your home to turn counterclockwise in the summer months. That helps to push the cool air down into your living space, creating a comfortable breeze.
- Keep the Sunshine Out. Of course, we all love beautiful, sunny days. But when the sun is at its highest, draw the shades to help keep the heat at bay. Direct sunlight can quickly heat up your home, making your air conditioning system work that much harder to keep your home cool.
- Make Sure Registers are Clear. Keeping your registers clean, and not obstructing them with furniture, rugs, and other objects allows the cool air to flow freely throughout your home. That helps your AC system deliver cooled air easily, and helps keep living areas at a more consistent temperature.
Not sure if your air conditioning system is as efficient as it should be?
Suppose you’ve noticed an increase in your energy bills, your home is not as cool as you’d like, or your indoor air seems more humid than usual. That means your air conditioning system is probably not operating at peak efficiency. It may need a cleaning and tune-up in order to operate at its best, especially if you haven’t had it maintained yet this season. If you’re concerned about your system’s efficiency, Stafford Mechanical Services, Inc. can help.
At Stafford Mechanical, our expert technicians can provide you with any air conditioning services you may need, from maintenance and repair to new system installation. To learn more or to schedule an appointment with us, please give us a call at (860) 684-9485, and we’ll be happy to assist you.